The installation process of a water heater can be tricky if you do not have any prior experience in the field of plumbing. While installing a water heater, you should take advice from a person with more knowledge or hire a plumber to do it for you. It is not recommended to install the water heater on your own if you do not have any experience of it.
Take the assistance of any plumber before doing this process. If the heater is not installed properly, there can be hazardous accidents that can injure adversely. Most of the water heaters work on propane. If there is leakage of the tank, it can explode and there will be loss of life as well as property. The installation process should be appropriately done by taking all the measures to avoid any mishaps. It is easy to hire a professional plumber to install your water heater. It will be safe in this way. They will do a better job than any person who does not know this.
Water Heater Installation Guide
Most of the water heaters come with an installation kit. All the tools required will be there in the installation kit, which you will need in this process. The following are the general stepwise installation processes that you can easily follow and install your water heater properly all by yourself.
- If there is a heater installed before and you want to replace it with a new one, then the first step is to disconnect the source of fuel. In this way, you can safely start the process. This is the crucial step which you should always keep in mind. If this step is not performed well, then there may be chances of accidents that will cost much. So the first step in the process of installing a water heater is to disconnect the source of fuel. It will also prevent wastage of fuel.
- The next is to empty the tank of your old water heater. Shut off the cold water supply and open the lid of the pipe from which the hot water is passed. Let the water flow out of the tank and make it empty. Make sure that you drain out the tank.
- Take off other inlets of the old water heater that was used for supplying fuel.
- The next step is to take off all the plumbing associated with the old water heater. You can easily do this step without taking too much effort. Make sure that you do not break any pipeline. Those can be reused as it is. Keep in mind that you are replacing only the heater, not the entire plumbing. So be careful while removing the heater from other plumbing pipelines. Prevent breaking any arrangements since they will increase the cost of your water heater installation process.
- Gently remove the old water heater and place a new one instead. Fix it properly. It is recommended to set the heater on the ground. If your water heater is heavy and you want it to install on any wooden platform, it may break and the overall arrangement will come down with it. Depending on the weight and the strength of the platform, you should judge whether to lift it on any platform or should you install it on the ground.
- If there is a requirement of any new pipeline, you should do it before you fix all the pipelines to the heater. You have to buy a new set of pipes for this step. Extra pipes do not come in the installation kit. Even if any product comes with an extra pair of pipes, it will not always be true that they will fit for your arrangement.
- After setting up the plumbing part, fix the wiring if there is a necessity. While wiring, make sure that you do not leave any live wire in the open. If there is any wire open, fix it with electric tape. Make sure that nobody comes in contact with the wires. If the wires are not fitted properly, anyone can get strangled in it and disaster can happen at your place.
- Join all the connections, including the fuel supply and test the heater before anyone uses it.
Water Heater Installation Code Requirements
Several codes are required while installing the water heater for safety purposes. If you live in the city of California, you may have more code than usual cities. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Bottom board: There is a requirement of insulation when the water heater is set up in any unheated area. It is required to prevent loss of heat in the surrounding environment.
- Drain pan: In the event of leakage of water from the tank, there is a requirement of the drain pan, which consists of drain pipes under it. This will help you in reducing the damage to such events.
- Dedicated water valve: There is a requirement of a dedicated water valve to control the water flow to the water heater.
- Earthquake straps: In case you are living in an area where earthquakes may occur, there is a requirement of strapping down your water heater.
While installing your water heater at your place, go through the code at first. You can find all the codes associated with the water heater for your area online.
Tips to Install Water Heater
There are a few tips and tricks which can come in handy while installing your water heater. While installing your heater, you should check out the installation guideline provided by the company. There will be different guidelines for different types of models. Most of the companies provide the product with installation guidelines. If you follow those instructions, you will not need any assistance from a professional plumber. Like this, you can save your money as well as time.
While installing a new heater, always check for the old plumbing. There may be a case of breakage of any pipe in the process of removing the old heater. You should always check the water flow before you connect your source of fuel. In the case of an electric water heater, you should also check the wiring thoroughly before you plug in the heater. Try to install your heater on the ground. Installing the water heater on high has always been a worrying issue.