Water heaters fueled by natural gas or propane costs little as compared to electric water heaters. Monthly operating costs are very less for gas water heaters and they consume less energy. Gas Water Heater is simple, environmentally friendly, efficient and performs better than electric water heaters. They are designed to use both natural gas and liquid propane gas. Natural gas is cheaper than liquid propane and most of the models prefer natural gas. The energy factor is similar for both natural gas and propane and they heat the water at the same rate.
Best Gas Water Heater Reviews 2019
There are two types of gas hot water heaters: Tankless and Tank-type. Tank-type water heaters have a storage tank with a capacity of 10- 50 gallons and keep hot water ready for use always. The cost is a little less than tankless water heater and the design is simple than tankless. The tankless model has no storage tank but provides hot water instantly when required. This model is compact and energy efficient. The energy efficiency increases if the unit is chosen with a condensing unit.
In this review, we have reviewed both tank and tankless water heaters and have covered the popular brands based on size, compactness, availability of parts and warranty.
Top 10 Solar Water Heaters
- Rheem RTGH-95DVLN 9.5 GPM Indoor Direct Vent Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater
- CAMPLUX ENJOY OUTDOOR LIFE Pro BD158 1.58GPM Outdoor Propane Gas Tankless Water Heater
- Rheem Performance Platinum 50 gal. Short 12 Year 40,000 BTU Energy Star Natural Gas Water Heater
- VEVOR 10L Natural Gas Hot Water Heater 2.6GPM 20KW Tankless Instant Boiler Stainless Steel with Shower Head Kit
- Rinnai V65IN 6.6 GPM Indoor Low NOx Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater
- Takagi T-H3-DV-N Condensing High-Efficiency Natural Gas Indoor Tankless Water Heater, 10-Gallon Per Minute
- MAREY Gas 10L Tankless Water Heater
- Eccotemp FVI12-LP Liquid Propane Gas Tankless Water Heaters
- Noritz NR501-OD-LP Outdoor Tankless Water Heater 5.0 Gpm, Liquid Propane
- Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor Tankless Water Heater, Natural Gas
Rheem RTGH-95DVLN 9.5 GPM Indoor Direct Vent Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater
Rheem gas water heaters are easy to install and have digital displays for the temperature setting. There is a two-pipe direct vent system with electric power. The tank is wrapped with overheat film wrap and EZ- Link cable for connecting two tankless units together. The digital remote control, 10 feet thermostat control, 120-volt power cord and freeze protection up to -30 degrees F are some of the special features of this unit. This is one of the biggest workhorses for tankless water heaters. It kicks on instantly and delivers hot water at a flow rate of 0.40 gallons per minute (gpm). It is less noisy and is 94% energy efficient than other stainless steel condensing heat exchanger.
- Instant hot water at a rate of 0.40 gpm.
- 94% energy efficient.
- $174 is the estimated energy cost for normal users.
- Uses only 159 therms per year.
- Little bit expensive
CAMPLUX ENJOY OUTDOOR LIFE Pro BD158 1.58GPM Outdoor Propane Tankless Gas Water Heater
This is Amazon’s choice for best gas water heater under potable mode. Camplux Gas Water Heater provides compact and wall-mounted water heaters for an easy and efficient indoor & outdoor lifestyle. They can be mounted on a wall and requires little space for operation. The heater can operate at a pressure of 2.8 PSI. There is a folding handle in this water heater for easy portability. The temperature ranges from 46.4 ° F to 114.8° F. it delivers 1.58 gpm of hot water and works continuously with energy efficiency. It saves up to 88.5% of energy and money. This water heater has features such as overheat protection, low-water flow protection, flame failure protection, dry combustion protection, and high water pressure protection. There are digital controls for gas flow, water flow with a monitoring window for the flame.
- Best suited for campsites and households.
- A small ignition is enough for getting instant hot water.
- It delivers 1.58 gpm of hot water.
- It is easy to use.
- It works only on liquid propane.
- This water heater can’t be used for drinking water.
Rheem Performance Platinum 50 gal. Short 12 Year 40,000 BTU Energy Star Natural Gas Water Heater
Rheem’s natural gas hot water heater provides 79 gallons of hot water in one hour for a family of 3-5 people. This is a tank water heater that can hold water up to 50 gallons. This water heater comes with 12 years of warranty for the tank and parts. In addition to this, they provide free labor for 3 years from the installation date. There is no filter in this heater and so it is maintenance free. This unit requires 40,000 BTU/ hour and has a low NOX burner. This Best 50 Gallon Gas Water Heater has an electric ignition system to eliminate the standing light and saves energy. It has temperature and pressure relief valves to protect the heater with 3/4inch water connector for easy installation. It is certified as energy efficient water heater and is Wi-Fi compatible for remote monitoring of the operations.
- Energy efficient water heater that utilizes less natural gas.
- Patented magnesium anode design ensures perfect resistance from rust and increases tank life.
- Amazing 12-year warranty for the tank with 3-year free labor charges.
- Maintenance free safety system with Rheemglas tank lining.
- Electric ignition system ( match-free)
- This is a tank water heater that takes one hour to get 79 gallons of water.
VEVOR 10L Natural Gas Hot Water Heater
This natural gas tankless water heater is made of stainless steel and can be mounted on the wall. It can heat 10 liters of water per minute or 2.6 gpm. It has to overheat protection that turns off when the temperature reaches 167°F. There is 2D cell battery ignition with LCD display. This enables complete control of the hot water. There is 20-minute timer is present to power off automatically. They have control of both cold and hot water. The thermal efficiency of the heater is 80.8%. The unit needs a good ventilated area for maintaining the temperature. This unit comes with a shower kit, user manual, and 10 L natural gas water heater main body.
- It is a flue automatic gas discharge system.
- Has automatic fire catching method with an electric pulse.
- It is a natural gas heater that produces instant hot water.
- It should be installed in a place where proper ventilation is available.
Rinnai V65IN 6.6 GPM Indoor Low NOx Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater
Rinnai Natural Gas Hot Water Heater is a very energy efficient heater suitable for indoor installations. It has very low NOx emissions and can be installed anywhere in the USA. This is a lightweight and compact model that utilizes only 150,000 BTU and saves 82% of energy. It contains digital controllers, temperature controllers with a temperature range of 98 – 140 °F. This heater has 10 years warranty on the exchanger and 5 years for the parts and one year of free labor. It runs on both propane and natural gas. It produces 6.6 gpm of hot water at temperature ranges of 98 – 120 degrees F. They have a scale detection system to prevent long-term damage for the heater. It has a leak detection system to alarm us about the heater damage. There is temperature lock to avail constant hot water at a specific temperature.
- It suits best for a house with 2 showers.
- It is environmental friendly with low NOx emissions.
- Occupies less space with easy installation.
- Provides hot water up to 120 degrees F. For higher temperature, we need an up-gradation.
Takagi T-H3-DV-N Condensing High-Efficiency Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater Indoor
This is a high-efficiency natural gas tankless water heater that produces 10 gallons of hot water per minute.it supplies endless hot water to meet all your demands. It is a very compact and simple unit with computerized safety features. It has ultralow NOx emissions and satisfies the 2012 SCAQMD Rule 1146.2. Temperature range is 100 – 185 °C and produces less noise. It is well suited for small restaurants and salons and is identified as the best gas water heater 2019. It can handle three showers at colder weather and 4 showers at warmer weather. 10 gpm means more hot water for dishwashers, washing machine, and 3 bathrooms.
- Very less noise heater.
- Provides hot water instantly and delivers for hours together.
- Suitable for a big family.
- The energy factor is 0.95, which means more savings on the bill.
- Safety features like freeze, over heat and surge protection is included.
- It should be installed at a good ventilated place.
- Professional installation is recommended for utilizing warranty and other benefits.
MAREY Gas 10L Tankless Water Heater
Marey is a high-efficiency gas water heater which is very compact and easy for installation. This tankless water heater uses less energy than other tank water heaters and saves up to 60% of energy. The energy efficiency factor is 0.87. It is rustproof and leak proof and provides continuous hot water from the moment the faucet is open. It provides 3.1 gpm of hot water. There is a thermostat to maintain the temperature and the sensor automatically turns on the device, when there is water flow. It is an environmental friendly heater that can last a lifetime. The comparison of gas vs electric water heater provides energy efficiency of 87% for this tankless water heater. It works on low water pressure and does not require electricity for ignition.
- No electric connection required for this unit.
- It is compatible and portable.
- There is an indication for outlet water temperature.
- Runs on both propane and natural gas.
- Not suitable for apartment homes as it requires more ventilation.
Eccotemp FVI12-LP Liquid Propane Gas Tankless Water Heater
This is one of the best Gas Tankless Water Heater. It provides 3.6gpm of hot water instantly. The water heater turns on only when there is water flow and thus saves energy. It requires a well-ventilated area for installation as it produces more heat. It is suitable for indoor and outdoor areas. There is a digital temperature display with this unit that shows outlet and inlet temperatures. It works on an electric ignition system and requires a 120-volt electrical outlet. The temperature can be adjusted manually for the desired value. It works on water pressure of 30- 80 psi. It can operate on 25000 – 74500 BTU. Moreover, it comes with two years warranty.
- Provides 4 gpm of hot water.
- It runs only when there is water flow in the pipe.
- Suitable for smaller homes, cabins and apartments.
- Requires a clean and descaling every three months.
- Requires electricity for ignition.
Noritz NR501-OD-LP Outdoor Tankless Water Heater Gas
This is another tankless water heater Gas. Gas propane is used for heating the water inside. This gas tankless water heater provides 5 gallons of hot water per minute. Noritz is an innovator in the water heating industry. This is an electronically controlled modern water heater that is known for saving energy and delivering hot water for all needs. This water heater can be used for outdoor services. It is a compact model for homes with 2 showers and 12 years of warranty.
The heater has a thermal fuse to prevent automatic overheating and the burner adjusts automatically. The circuit board is protected with Resin and safety lockouts. This model does not require additional vents. It is an 84% energy efficient device that uses natural gas or propane. There are sensors for flame, overheat, freeze and fan rotation. Also, there is a built-in display window with temperature lockout and adjustments for high elevation.
- There is an automatic air regulator for maintaining internal temperature and increasing the efficiency of the burner.
- Safety lockout is present for maximum temperature.
- Automatic overheat protection.
- We need to buy the freezing protection kit separately.
Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor Tankless Gas Water Heater
This is a compact version best tankless Gas water heater that is suitable for small residences with single shower options. This is a modulated Gas fired water heater can be along with storage tanks, radiant floor systems and recirculation systems. It contains all the safety features like freeze protection, overheat protection, surge protection, and troubleshooting options are available. The best feature of this water heater is that you can control it with the remote. The system automatically turns off when there is no water flow. The ideal temperature of this device is 131 degrees F. The venting system is made of stainless steel and lasts longer.
- Suitable for gas input of 140000 BTU.
- Ultra low NOx emissions are as low as 14ng/J.
- 15 years of warranty for the tank and 5 years warranty for the parts.
- It is compact and provides 6.6 gpm
- Requires professional installation for utilizing warranty.
- Can support to the maximum of two bathrooms.
Things to consider while choosing the best Gas Hot Water Heater
The gas hot water heaters are better than electric water heaters as they save more energy. The propane gas or natural gas water heaters are easy to install and costs lesser than the electric heater. It requires no electricity and varies in size and range of applications. There are a tank and tankless water heater to suit the needs. Tanked water heater consumes more time than a tankless water heater. Tankless water heaters consume less energy than tanked water heaters. Similarly, tankless water heaters occupy less space than a tank water heater. The basic mechanism is the same for both types of heater yet the simplicity is an important point to consider.
- Family size.
- Usage level – the number of showers, dishwasher frequency, washing machine etc.
- Natural gas or propane gas or both.
- NOx emissions
- Energy efficiency
- Size of the heater and ventilation requirements.
- Availability of parts and warranty.
- Maintenance requirements.
Out of the top 10 gas water heaters, the top rated gas water heater is Rheem RTGH-95DVLN 9.5 GPM Indoor Direct Vent Natural Gas Tankless Water heater. The model costs $1720 and is worth more than the price. The energy efficiency is 94 % than any other water heater. The model delivers continuous hot water for big family and has environmental friendly ultra-low NOx emissions to meet the requirements of SCAQMD rule 11446.2. It contains exclusive hot start programming to minimize the cold water burst and provides hot water back-to-back. There is a built-in condensate to increase energy efficiency with a self –diagnostic system for service and installation. Above all, it comes with 12 years of warranty and can be linked with many units easily and controlled through Econet Mobile app.
The second top-rated high-efficiency water heater is Takagi T-H3-DV-N Condensing High-Efficiency Natural Gas Indoor Tankless Water Heater that delivers 10 gpm of hot water continuously with less or no noise. this model costs $1251.76. It meets the ultra-low NOx emissions standards set by SCAQMD rule 1146.2 to join hands with Rheem in the USA. This is a simple unit with maximum safety features computerized. The temperature range is 100- 185 °C and worth for a buy. It handles 3 showers at colder weather and four showers at warm weather and suitable for a big family.